Tuesday 27 January 2015

Valleycon Day 1 games 2 and 3

Game 2 - Breakthrough

My second game was with Bryan Thompson he was using a German Grenadier company. I would be attacking in this one which was what i had designed my army for so her goes.


Setup I had everything but a platoon of Sherman's which were in reserve set to push onto the weaker of the 2 defensive lines my tanks only had 2 Pak38's to deal with. How hard can it be?

First turn i moved up and with General Harmon's 4+ extra move dismounted the troops ready for assault. My 37mm AA had their hands full of Luftwaffe fly boys shooting down 3 planes in the first turn.

The next turn my armoured rifles regrouped from a failed assault and tried again along with the 2 command Sherman's. Even though i had pinned and smoked the Pak38's the 2 shots they had in defencive fire hit and killed both Sherman's. Bryan's lines held strong.

The second armoured rifle platoon readied for an assault on another rifle platoon in the second row of houses. Bryan's StuG's where getting closer to the action i needed to breakthrough before they got there or it would be too much to deal with.


I had secured the houses in the town but now there was quite a bit of open ground to overcome. Luckily my reserves came on with the second roll. this caused Bryan to pull his StuG's away to deal with them.
The tanks engaged in a Brief firefight i killed one StuG he killed two Sherman's in replay and they ran.

Back on the main front another Sherman had died another had been bailed since turn 2 and wasn't getting back in any time soon. and the one that was left was to be picked off the next turn.

I had managed to get across the open ground with out too many casualties forcing one of Bryan's squads back off the objective.


On Bryan's next turn he recaptured the objective right on turn five and at full time. So with time being up i had no chance as the objectives were not hot till turn 6 so it wasn't to be. A 6-2 win to Bryan.

Game 3 - Counterattack

My next game was Vs Daniel Wilson I had played him before at Valleycon 2013 it was early war then and i think from memory he bested me on that occasion. He was running Hungarian Infantry company once again  would be the attacker.

The setup was simple as once again try and force my way through. First turn General Harmon and his armoured rifles moved towards Daniel's artillery.
My 2 platoons of Sherman's and the CO blasted the 3 defending Panzer 4's to pieces.

Meanwhile moving at the double the 2iC, AA and the second infantry platoon raced around the edge of the table towards the rear objective. The road wasn't an option it had been Mined.


My mortars and infantry made quick work of the artillery forcing them to flee the battle.

French House design leaves a lot to be desired. It wasn't until turn 3 that Daniel decided to reveal his ambush from behind where his tanks had died. I think i had out stayed my welcome.

The armoured rifles where making good progress to the objective at the rear while the 2iC and AA tried to slow the advance of he troops trying to get back to the objective.

Yes i had defiantly out stayed my welcome. luckily only losing 2 tanks to the PaK40's

The 2iC and AA guns tried to knock out some of the PaK's but failed and when it came time to vacate the area the 2iC got stuck on the hedge and one AA got Bailed.

Daniel's pioneers had decided that enough was enough an took the fight to my armoured rifle that had earlier caused the artillery to rout. Flaming and assaulting them causing quite a few deaths.

The rifles and Gen Harmon fell but the armoured mortars wouldn't let them get away Scott free

Mean while the AA where killed off by the PaK's and the 2iC wasn't going anywhere.

I had set up a fire base around the objective and a hail of MG fire killed off 5 stands on the first round of shooting .

Daniel tried one final assault on the half tracks but failed to get through. Unfortunately Daniel had to leave for work at 5pm so he called it there he was happy to give me the win as he thought he would lose it the next turn anyway. So a5-3 win to me and the first one of the weekend again another hard fought battle but well worth it.





2 comments:

  1. Great to see you sticking to your plan and attacking hard out. It was hard work against all that infantry, good to see the Yanks get a win on the board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea if at first you dont succeed try try and try again failing that call in an airstrike.

      Delete